I just created a new Azure project the other day. It had been more than 4 months since I’d run any Azure code in my local development environment, but I had made changes on my computer. One significant thing I did was that I installed a SQL Server Developer Edition database engine, and stopped using SQLExpress. By default, development storage uses SQLExpress, so I needed to change this to use the new engine. Luckily for me, this was rather simple, because I had disabled SQLExpress, and my new database engine was running on localhost.
The error I got in Visual Studio looked like this:
|Windows Azure Tools: Failed to initialize the Development Storage service. Unable to start Development Storage. Failed to start Development Storage: the SQL Server instance ‘localhost\SQLExpress’ could not be found. Please configure the SQL Server instance for Development Storage using the ‘DSInit’ utility in the Windows Azure SDK.|
I fixed it by dropping into the command line and executing the dsinit tool (DSInit on MSDN):
This created all the tables that development storage needed, and I was back up and running with my development environment.
Next up: Update to the latest SDK!